Kanda Poha, Avalakki, Indian Veg Breakfast Recipe
Easy Poha recipe | Prepare using kanda| Indian veg breakfast recipe
Poha has been derived from the word ‘Pohay’. It is a traditional and authentic Maharashtrian cuisine which is made from flattened rice( Poha) and one of the best Indian veg breakfast recipes. When it comes it snacks time poha is something which people choose to have it with a hot cup of tea. Poha can be consumed as breakfast or as snacks too. It is poha which comes to mind first when we think of cooking something easily as poha recipe takes few minutes to cook. You can serve Poha as it is cooked but it would taste better if you serve it with sev and chat masala on top with onion. There are many ways to prepare poha and every state in India has it is own way to prepare poha. Poha recipe has its own health benefits too.
- Poha (flattened rice)
- Raw peas/groundnut ( based on preference)
- Green chillies
- Raw Onion (Kanda)
- Sev (haldiram aloo sev preferred)
- Chat masala
Major health benefits of Poha are as follows ( poha recipe is not just tasty, but the recipe has health benefits too)
- Poha is rich in Iron
- Low in calories as it is prepared in less oil
- Poha is easily digestible and considered to be very light
- One of the best low calorie food( instead of frying potato, one can use boiled too for diet)
- Good source of healthy carbohydrates.
- Poha is much efficient in controlling blood pressure and best breakfast for diabitic.
- Poha is gluten free and can be consumed by people who are allergic to gluten
- Poha recipe aids in weight loss too.
- Protien 35% 35%
- Carbs 76% 76%
- Calories 12% 12%
Steps to prepare easy poha recipe
For poha recipe lets begin with the first step. Firstly take colander and wash poha in it (do not keep it for long in water). Let the poha be in colander for sometime on let the water drain.
- Heat pan and add oil. Add chopped potato cubes and after frying it on a medium flame for 2-4 minutes add chopped chilies and raw peas ( in case of groundnuts, fry it separately until it turns golden brown and aromatic) and add turmeric powder, salt as per taste and saute it and check if potatoes are cooked.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add poha and saute it well and sprinkle some sugar and let it simmer for a minute or two.
As it Poha is ready, transfer it into a serving dish, add raw onions(kanda) on top and sprinkle chat powder and on top add sev. Serve it with a lemon wedge and with a hot cup of tea.
I am sure even the food from 5 star can not really match the taste of road side food or the simple Poha recipe that you prepare in no time at your home with some simple ingredients available at home. There is a saying “ Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a beggar”. That said the breakfast has to be high in energy which boosts your metabolism and keeps you energized throughout the day and Poha recipe could be the best start to your day.